Friday, May 29, 2009

Rethink.Reduce.Reuse.Recycle

1 Month has passed since the celebration of Earth Day. How am I doing?

I google this, and I guess well yeah. Its not easy to break a habit.

Scientists say it takes 21 days to change a habit¹ because we often resist change.
According to yoga teachings ², it takes:
40 days to change a bad habit into a positive one;
90 days confirms the new habit in you;
120 days allows the new habit to become who you are;
1,000 days ensures you have mastered the habit. Source:
here

How am I doing with this changed of Habit of mine.?

Rethink
Do I need to buy that Top? yes! Do I need to spent RM 99 for one top? Er... No.... At least, the habit of rethinking lands me on RM 90 for 3 tops + 1 free top. Now, thats worth buying. (Excuse me, since I havent bought any work clothes or done any retail therapy for the past 6 months)
But I do plan out my monthly budget and list out the items I need to buy for the household 1 week before I get my pay. This is to avoid me from buying unnecessary items. I have done this for the past 1 month and I notice that I was able to stretch my pay till the end of the month! Thats a positive impact.

Reduce
Usually, I will pack food from nearby stalls and they will give me polystyrene packaging , plastic bag & plastic utensil . I have done this for the past 3 years. 1 x 22 days x 12 months x 3 years. = 792 polystyrene that's not biodegradable.

Now I bring my own tup.perwa.re when ever I want to pack food from the stalls.I even refuse the plastic bag at all times! Since, I eat in the office pantry I have everything I need there.I'm sure you think I'm such a boring person. I splurge for lunch once in a while, but I guess I want to save and don't want to splurge unnecessarily. I like to maintain my lunch @ RM5 a day. I'm learning to be frugal.

Reuse
Now , I keep a small reusable and foldable carry bag in my handbag. Its easy for me to put in my weekly purchases from the grocery store. It gives me a nice feeling that , small things done by me hopefully can give some impact to others. Its a long way, what a better time to start than, now... Right?

Recycle
This is what I do 80% of the time. Its not easy to rethink,reduce or reuse I will resort into recycling all items that is recyclable. I even put them in a biodegradable plastic bag. It may be a bit expensive than your normal plastic bag. But for the future of my children. I don't mind..


So, thats my update towards living a sustainable life with my children and future children . What change have you done? Do share.

Let's get you the the recycling bin

No comments:

Post a Comment